Community Resources—Planning:  Flooding and Flood insurance

In order to be prepared for flood emergencies, to recover from a water disaster, or to retrofit your home for future floods, we are providing these links to resources recommended by FEMA and the City of Portage.

Books in the Library Collection:
Homeowner’s guide to retrofitting : six ways to protect your house from flooding.By Federal Emergency Management Agency, 1998.

Floodproofing non-residential structures.By Booker Associates,Federal Emergency Management Agency, 1986.

Elevated residential structures.By Federal Emergency Management Agency, 1984.

Design manual for retrofitting flood-prone residential structures. By: Federal Insurance Administration, Office of Loss Reduction, 1986.

Flood-proofing regulations. By: United States Army Corps of Engineers, 1972.

Other Recommended Online Publications and Resources
Answers to Questions about the National Flood Insurance Program, FEMA-387_,
Federal Emergency Management Agency, August 2001.

How to Use a Flood Map to Determine Flood Risk For a Property. FEMA-258, 1995.

Mandatory Purchase of Flood Insurance Guidelines, FEMA-186, Federal Emergency
Management Agency, 1999._ This booklet discusses the legal background of the flood
insurance purchase requirement, particularly from the lender’s perspective.

See also FEMA’s flood hazard mapping website at

Information on FEMA’s review of a map determination can be found at

Assistance in determining whether a “too-close-to-call” property is in the Coastal Barrier Resources System can be obtained from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. More
information on the CBRS can be found on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s website at

Communities may check on past FIRMs and obtain background data by calling 1-877FEMA MAP. They can also submit a written inquiry through this link:

The Compendium of Flood Map Changes is a list of all the changes made to the NFIP maps including Physical Map Revisions, Letters of Map Revision, and Letters of Map Amendment during a given 6-month period. The list is updated every 6 months and published in the Federal Register. See

Additional information, reference materials, and examples can be found at the CRS Resource Center at

Ask a Question