Step 1: Place items on hold
- Access the Library Catalog online or through our app to search for items that are currently available.
- Make sure items are available by reviewing that their detail shows an on-shelf location.
- Select the “Place Hold” button to put an item on hold.
- Members may place 25 items on hold at a time per library account.
You will need your library card number and PIN to place holds. If you need additional help, call (269)329-4544 option #1 for the Adult Information Desk or email us at Aref1@portagelibrary.info.
Step 2: Confirm items are ready to be picked up
Library staff work on pulling on-shelf holds about every 90 minutes.
Every 2 hours we email hold notifications for available items. You can also check on your MyAccount login online or through our app to see if your holds are ready instead of “Pending”. They will be listed with a “Pick up by: Date” when they are available.
Please wait until you can confirm your items are available before you come to pick them up. During busy times it may take more time to locate and prepare your holds for Curbside Pickup.
Step 3: Picking up your items
Once you have received confirmation that your holds are ready, let us know when you will be on your way to pick them up. You can either call (269)329-4544 option #3 for the Checkout Desk and Curbside Pickup or you can email us at email@example.com.
When you call or email, we will need the following information:
- expected arrival time
- full name
- last four digits of your library card number
- type and color of vehicle
- Don’t forget to tell us if you have MeLCat items to pick up too!
When you arrive for Curbside Pickup, come to the drive-thru window on the south side of the building where the covered material return chutes are located. There will be a doorbell at the window that you can ring to let us know you have arrived.
We have marked curbside parking that we may ask you to use when we have many pickups at once, a line waiting to return items, or if you were unable to call before your arrival. Otherwise, just drive up to the window and ring the doorbell.