The Portage District Library offers one-on-one tutorials for basic computer hardware and software by appointment. We are able to provide sessions Monday-Thursday at select times. Stop by the Adult Information Desk on the main level for more information.
Topics we can cover include how to:
- Use a computer
- Move pictures and documents off and around your computer
- Access and navigate the Internet
- Get an email address
- Create documents with Microsoft Word
- Use basic Excel functions
- Check out digital books, audiobooks, comics, magazines, movies, and music from Libby, Hoopla, Kanopy, or Freegal using a tablet or smartphone
- Access content from LinkedIn Learning, Creativebug, or any library-provided informational databases
Please note: This time is not intended for tutorials or assistance with equipment or software in the Creation Station and Makerspace which have staffed drop-in hours scheduled throughout the week.
We do not offer:
- Password retrieval
- File retrieval
- Set-up or maintenance of devices
- Troubleshooting services for hardware or software
- Help with consumer software or websites, such as retail or travel sites
Those needing assistance should book an appointment. Please call the Adult Information Desk at (269) 329-4544 ext. 1. You will need to provide the following information:
- Your name, phone number, or email address
- The name of the device with which you would like help
- What you hope to accomplish during your session
Appointments can be made for one hour or less. Be sure to review the checklist below so that you are prepared for your tutorial. If you do not have your passwords, device, and charging cord, we may be unable to help you.
What to bring for your one-on-one tutorial?
- Passwords you need for your personal device, email, or services that you want help using
- The personal device you would specifically like help using to access services
- Your library card number or internet guest pass and PIN. If you do not have this, stop at the Checkout Desk with your ID before starting your tutorial.
- Patience—learning new things can be exciting but sometimes challenging!